Skip to main content

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho on Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Romelu Lukaku dilemma



Lukaku, 24, has scored four goals in his first three Manchester United starts but is set to face competition from 35-year-old Ibrahimovic when the Swede returns from injury later in the season.
United's decision to re-sign Ibrahimovic has bolstered Mourinho's attack but could also provide him with a dilemma as to who starts up front during the run-in, when United will hope to be challenging for the Premier League.

Mourinho had already fielded over half-a-dozen questions on Ibrahimovic's return before he was asked about whether Lukaku and Ibrahimovic could form a successful axis.

"No," Mourinho replied, refusing to take any more questions on Ibrahimovic. "In this moment they can speak on the phone that is all they can do, not even face-to-face because he [Ibrahimovic]’s not here."

Earlier, Mourinho said: "If we progress in the Champions League and if we progress in one of the two cups, I don’t even say both, if we do that we are going to be in the position where we couldn’t do it only with Lukaku and Rashford, especially if I play both together because if I play one and the other one is on the bench, okay, but I am playing with both?

"So if I play with both, I need a striker, so probably in January I would be knocking on Ed Woodward’s door asking for a striker for the second part of the season and I don’t need to. I have one of the best in the world. I don’t have another one to play so I cannot give rest to my players, I cannot do rotation with them like I am going to do with the midfield players or the central defenders or with the wingers.

"So we need a striker and we have one striker just around the corner that belongs to our family, that likes to be with us ad play for us. We know well and he is one of the best strikers in the world so the only consequence of it is we are going to have a much better squad."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Manchester United need to improve after defeat.

Right wing issue continues Bordeaux's left-footed right winger Malcom was United's early January target before Alexis Sanchez became attainable. How to accommodate him in a Premier League fixture was the obvious quandary and Jose Mourinho did so by shifting Anthony Martial to the right flank, which was an obvious error. It was to Martial's credit he fashioned a couple of openings during the first-half horror show and he still spent the majority of it on the fringes, as the enterprising Sanchez troubled Tottenham with his darts across the attacking line. Jesse Lingard did not vindicate the decision to keep him behind Romelu Lukaku. Martial was the inevitable fall guy, given the Sanchez signing and Lingard's fabulous form. Lingard is perhaps the least talented of the trio and it was telling that at the start of the second half he was moved to the right and Martial occupied his favoured left wing berth. The irony is Martial was poorer there. Lingard was substi

Ryan Giggs: Reasons why Manchester United can win the Premier League

Manchester United can win the title this season because they have the experience and balance in their squad to go all the way, according to club legend Ryan Giggs. Following two consecutive 4-0 wins, against both West Ham and Swansea, Jose Mourinho's side have made their best start to a league season since 1907. New signings Nemanja Matic and Romelu Lukaku have hit the ground running and already caught the eye at this early stage of the season. And Giggs feels that with Mourinho in charge, and a squad filled with power and creativity, his former side can finally end their title drought. "I think it was documented when the fixtures came out, while there’s no easy games in the Premier League, it was a pretty good start for Manchester United and the team have delivered with two 4-0 wins," he wrote for Sky Sports. "When Jose Mourinho’s sides get going they are very difficult to stop. He’s done in the past and, while it’s important dea

Shaw: I am ready to make a first-team return

The 22-year-old left-back had not played in any sort of match since damaging ligaments against Swansea City at Old Trafford in April, but he gladly made his return to action at Leigh Sports Village as Ricky Sbragia’s youngsters secured a 1-1 draw, coincidentally against the Swans' youth side. Shaw played for 59 minutes on Monday and so too did Ashley Young, who had also been sidelined through injury since picking up a serious hamstring problem in last season’s UEFA Europa League semi-final first leg tie at Celta Vigo in Spain, rendering Monday an important night for the duo. “I’m feeling really good and I only push on from here,” a smiling Shaw told MUTV after the final whistle. “I’m looking for the first-team spot now, I’m going to keep pushing, and when the manager needs me I’m going to be ready. Whenever that is, I’m really looking forward to it. I’d rather it was sooner rather than later, but I’m feeling good and whenever I’m called upon, I’m ready.